As you are aware the Village Hall car park is being replaced. We have encountered a problem, which has caused a delay in the work schedule. We are receiving constant complaints regarding the thoughtless parking in Side Street. We do apologise for any inconvenience caused by this delay, but we do not apologise for the thoughtless use of the highway.
Whilst we recognise careless parking is not within the remit of the Village Hall, as the recipient of the complaints we draw the attention of our users to Rule 243 from the Highway Code.
We are all being inconvenienced and feel it is not too much to ask for a little understanding, thoughtfulness and patience. Perhaps you could consider parking in the Welby Arms Car Park, which is not far away.
DO NOT stop or park
- Near a school entrance
- Anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
- At or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
- On the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
- Opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
- Near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
- Opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
- Where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
- Where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
- In front of an entrance to a property (this includes partially blocking an entrance)
- On a bend
- Where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic
The car park will be closing again in the near future and we do urge that you think about how you drive and park on Side Street.
We have been asked about the removal of the signs on the car park. We had hoped to remove them, but we are still receiving reports of what can only be termed as ‘silliness’ from car park users (the writer has observed some of these incidents. One way in, one way out seems simple enough to us, yet cars are constantly parked blocking both the exit and the entrance. We urge you to think of others and the safety of our elderly residents and children.
You will note we have installed deeper curbing on both sides of the car park. The Village Hall Committee will accept not responsibility for damage to any vehicle that fails to avoid hitting these curbs.
Finally, we have created a space outside the Surgery door for the sole use of the Doctor on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. On Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday and Friday mornings, in the interests of security, it is for the use of the Post Office. Please bare in mind how lucky we are to have such dedicated Doctors and a Post Office service and help us to look after their interests, as we look after the interests of all our users.
Allington VH Management Committee