Parish Council Minutes July 2017
Allington Parish Council
Minutes of Parish Council Meeting held in the Village Hall
Wednesday 12 July 2017
Present: Councillor Bosworth Councillor Carter
Councillor Ashby Councillor Jackson
Councillor Sharp Councillor Plummer
Sharon Milne (clerk)
District Councillor Hannah Westropp
1. Chairman’s remarks
1.1 The Chairman opened the meeting and thanked those present for attending. Some villagers from Allington Gardens were in attendance and commented about the overgrown hedge and grass verge along Peach Lane. It was unclear as to who has responsibility for this lane. The clerk would enquire as to whether the lane is a LCC Highway or a private lane. (Action point: clerk)
2.1 Cllr Cant offered her apologies, she was working away.
2.2 County Councillor Mark Whittington and District Cllr Pam Bosworth also sent their apologies.
3. Declarations of Interest
3.1 There were no declarations of interest.
4. Minutes of the annual meeting held on 10 May 2017
4.1 The minutes were confirmed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.
5 Correspondence received since the meeting held on 10 May 2017
5.1 The clerk reported on some of the correspondence received and sent:
a) Audit submitted to External Auditors Grant Thornton
b) Notification from Auditors that journalists now have the right to inspect the accounts (but it’s still only electors who can raise questions and objections with the external auditor).
c) Press release re: SKDC Community Fund
d) Insurance renewal – Came & Company
e) Anglian Water – trying to locate private pumping stations
f) BT notification – Adoption of phone kiosk
g) Resubmission – application The Welby Arms as Community Asset
h) Reply to AGRA – not able to provide a dog waste bin
i) Information about local road closures
j) Mobile library timetable changes – customers all notified
k) AGRA – would like a commemorative seat for Village Hall
l) Thank you letters from those organisations that have received donations from the Parish Council
m) Notification of the ‘Big Clean’ to report unsightly places in the district
n) SKDC – info on draft Local Plan
o) Enquiry about hiring the field
6 Representations made to the Parish Council since the agenda has been set
6.1 There were no representations made to the Council after the agenda had been set.
7 Objectives for the forthcoming year
7.1 Councillors were reminded of the new objectives set for 2017.
• To continue with the objective to repair to the footpath along from South Lodge to the church continues. The matter is ongoing. LCC are aware that the path needs attention but it is a matter of finances presently. Cllr Bosworth is in contact with the Highways and is seeking a meeting.
• The pavilion has been a high priority with the Playing Field Advisory Group throughout 2016. This continues and is progressing well.
• The village plan should be reviewed and a new survey undertaken. This would be considered later on in the year.
8 Seats for the Village
8.1 It is hoped that new seats will be bought and installed within the village but details of different seats need to be sourced. This matter will be placed on the agenda at the September meeting. (Action point: clerk)
9 Telephone box
9.1 Cllr Bosworth was pleased to report that, following an application by the Parish Council, the telephone kiosk had now been formally adopted. The telephone had been formally decommissioned by BT as it had only been used once in the past 12 months. A number of villagers would like to see an old style red telephone box installed and funds would be raised for this. Cllr Bosworth would write a piece for Allington News to update villagers with this news and to ask for ideas for the site going forward. (Action point: AB)
10 Village Sign.
10.1 The clerk reported that she had applied to Highways for permission to install the new village sign on the green, although a formal response was still awaited. The materials for the post had been purchased and the post had been fabricated by Martin Jackson. A letter of thanks would be sent to him for the work he had done on this. It was agreed that the sign should be erected as soon as possible. (Action point: clerk)
11 Village Asset update
11.1 Following advice a new application had been made to register the Welby Arms as a village asset. The secondary application had been made because the recent decision had been made on the erroneous assumption that the Welby Arms has the status of a hotel. A decision is awaited.
12 Local Plan Consultation
12.1 Cllr Cant spoke about SKDC’s local plan which she had kindly summarised for Parish Councillors. She said that she felt that the Parish Council should submit a response to it.
12.2 After further discussion about the Local Plan and its longer term intentions it was agreed that Cllr Bosworth would try and attend one of the Local Plan seminars held at either Grantham or Stamford. It was also agree that a response would be put together and sent to SKDC. Cllrs Cant and Bosworth would work on this. Cllrs would forward their specific comments to Cllr Bosworth on the matter. (Action point: MC & AB)
13 Revision of the Village Plan
13.1 It was reported that Cllr Cant had made enquiries with Community Lincs about the village creating a new Village Plan. Community Lincs stated that they would be prepared to provide administrative input for a fee. After discussion it was agreed, unanimously, that this would be worthwhile to progress with Community Lincs’ support.
13.2 The village however would need to have a Steering Group to begin the process. This matter would be put on the agenda at the next meeting. (Action point: clerk)
14 Village Hall matters
14.1 The matter of the rewording of the Constitution of the Village Hall was discussed. Members from the Village Hall Management committee assured the Council that the suggested rewording only gave the Parish Council the responsibility of holding the deeds of the Village Hall. However, Councillors were unsure whether the wording implied further and agreed that more advice on the matter was necessary before agreement could be made.
14.2 Cllr Bosworth would follow this matter up and seek advice with the official at Community Lincs who had advised the Village Hall committee of the suggested rewording. It was agreed, unanimously, that the wording needed validating and understanding completely before any revised Constitution is signed. (Action point: AB)
14.3 A member of the Village Hall’s Management Committee had contacted the clerk to ask whether permission was needed from the Parish Council to install a commemorative seat at the hall in memory of the late Sheila Clarke. The family wished to purchase a commemorative seat. It was agreed that this was a matter for the Village Hall and not the Parish Council – there were no cost implications for the Council.
15 Highway matters
15.1 Cllr Bosworth reported on the most recent data that had been gathered by the interactive speed indicator device. The device had been monitoring traffic on the approach to the village in Gonerby Lane and Bottom Street. Again, it was pleasing to see that the majority of drivers adjusted their speed towards 30mph. Cllr Bosworth stated that the device would be moved back to Sedgebrook Road shortly.
15.2 Cllr Bosworth had created a specific online account for Parish Councillors and the clerk to report pot holes and other highway issues. Having this specific account makes it easier to tell what has been reported and when, to monitor the Highway issues present around the village.
16 Playing field matters
16.1 Cllr Carter stated that there had been no recent Playing Field Advisory Group meeting to report on.
16.2 The process to replace the old cabins is well underway. The design of a replacement pavilion has been forwarded to SKDC for advice on planning permission. It is proposed that the new structure will be constructed with breeze blocks with timber cladding and an aluminium pressed roof – it will also have a veranda for shelter in bad weather. The three old cabins would be removed. Footings will need to be dug around the present concrete pad. This structure will become a very usable storage facility.
16.3 Once the Planning Department have given permission for the structure it is hoped that work will start soon.
16.4 Councillors reported that the recent event ‘On the Green’ was a huge success. The car show was superb, many thanks to Richard Withington organising this. Everything went well, the band was excellent as was the sunshine! Well done to everyone involved. It is estimated that around £2,000 was raised but the final figure is yet to be calculated.
16.5 Cllr Plummer raised the matter of parking issues which will soon begin with the number of cars that will return to the village when GYFC’s football season starts again. With sometimes two matches a day there can be in excess of 30 cars parked on and around the playing field. The overflow from the car park spills out onto the verges and causes difficulties for villagers living nearby, other road users and the parking ruins the verges.
16.6 Cllr Carter said that he would speak to the football club and ensure that all visiting teams are aware that they must not park on the verges or on the corner of the lane.
16.7 After discussion it was agreed that something needs to be done to alleviate these issues. It was proposed that an area should be cordoned off at the top of the field to be used as an overflow car park which would have to be managed by GYFC. The Council voted 3:2 (with one abstention) in favour of this proposal. The situation would be monitored.
16 Planning matters
16.1 Applications received and determined since the last Parish Council meeting on 10 May 2017:
• Approval – The Oaks, work on Beech tree
• Approval – Plum Tree House, The Green, erection of Orangery
• Refusal – Lambert Farm, Bottom Street – Erection of barn,
• Application – Eastleigh, The Green – Pollard (T1) horse chestnut and removal of (T2) Ash tree
17 Financial matters
17.1 The clerk reported on the income and outgoings since the last meeting on 10 May 17:
Income total – £739.61
Parish Council Playing Field Fundraisers Group
• Bank interest – £1.24 • Refund of float – £600
• Income from event – £138.37
Outgoings total – £6,398.92
Parish Council Playing Field Fundraisers Group
• P E Hempstead – £784.48
• Opus Energy – £28.82
• HMRC – £268.00
• Came & Co, Insurance – £796.02
• Grantham Fabrication – £114.00
• Rentokil – £163.20
• Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance – £75
• Allington Church – £100
• Allington News – £100
• VHMC – £2,000
• Twinning Assoc – £100
• Allington Stores – £50 • Eazy Print – £104.40
• Float for ‘On the Green’ event (GJ)– £1,715.00
Plus Clerk and Caretakers’ salaries.
17.2 Councillors unanimously approved the payments retrospectively.
18 Any other business for future meetings
18.1 The following would be on the agenda at the next Parish Council meeting:
• Seats for the village
• Village Asset update
• Revision of the Village Plan
• Constitution of the Village Hall
• Telephone box
19 Date of next meeting
19.1 The dates of the next meeting will be:
• Wednesday, 13 September 2017 at 7.30pm.
Signed: ———————————– (Chairman). Date: ————————————–