Parish Council Minutes 14 March 2018
Allington Parish Council
Minutes of Parish Council Meeting held in the Village Hall
Wednesday 14 March 2018
Present: Councillor Cant Councillor Reynolds
Councillor Ashby Councillor Plummer
Sharon Milne (clerk)
District Councillor Pam Bosworth
County Councillor Mark Whittington
1. Opening remarks
1.1 In the absence of the Chairman and the Vice Chairman it was decided by a show of hands that Cllr Cant should chair this meeting.
1.2 County Cllr Whittington informed the Council that he had recently driven around the area to look at the state of the highways. He has written to Highways stating that the roads are deplorable and need of attention urgently. In his opinion Gonerby Lane should be considered as dangerous. He will keep the Parish Council informed on any developments for highway improvements.
1.3 Cllr Whittington also stated that the ongoing drains issue on Bottom Street should receive attention in August / September 2018. It would be planned during the school holiday.
2.1 There were apologies from Cllr Jackson, Cllr Bosworth and Cllr Sharp. They were all away.
2.2 District Councillor Hannah Westrupp and David Smedley, Chairman of the Village Hall Management Committee, also sent their apologies.
3. Declarations of Interest
3.1 There were no declarations of interest.
4. Minutes of the annual meeting held on 10 January 2018
4.1 The minutes were confirmed as a true record and signed by the Chairman of the meeting.
5. Correspondence received since the meeting held on 10 January 2018
5.1 The clerk reported on some of the correspondence received and sent.
a) Correspondence LCC re: Urban Grass Cutting Agreements
b) Quote for 2018 grass cutting – Hempsteads
c) Letter to Oldrids Director, Richard Broadhead.
d) Information on proposed merger of Belvior Vale doctor’s surgery
e) LALC training opportunities
f) LALC info regarding Transparency grants
g) Enquiry from someone regarding Allington’s history
h) Highways Agency reports on road closures in the area
i) Information on Data Protection Regulation, including registration with ICO
j) LALC Annual subscription renewal
k) Registration of GB Spring Clean
l) Correspondence with VHMC regarding registration of village hall deeds
m) LCC info online fault reporting system
n) Email from resident informing of updated TomTom system routing through the village
o) Webinar External Auditor update
p) LCC press release Community Resilience group launched
5.2 Regarding point (a & b), the Hempsteads have been asked regarding the areas of the village that they cut and their quote has been approved for the 2018 cutting season.
6 Representations made to the Parish Council since the agenda has been set
6.1 There were no representations made to the Council after the agenda had been set.
7. Objectives for 2018
7.1 Councillors were reminded of the objectives set for 2018.
• To continue with the objective to repair to the footpath along from South Lodge to the church continues. The matter is ongoing. LCC are aware that the path needs attention but it is a matter of finances presently.
• The pavilion has been a high priority with the Playing Field Advisory Group throughout 2017. This continues and is progressing well.
• The village plan should be reviewed and a new survey undertaken.
8 General Data protection Regulations (GDPR) & Freedom of Information (FOI)
8.1 GDPR comes into force in May this year, in UK terms it replaces the Data Protection Act (DPA). The Parish council is actively reviewing its processes and procedures and will keep it as an agenda item until it is resolved. (Action point: clerk)
8.2 The Parish Council as an authority have to examine what data is kept and how that data is processed / used. The Parish Council also needs to have consent to have that data and decide how long it is kept and why.
8.3 Other requirements are that the Parish Council has to register with the ICO (Information Commissioners Office) expected cost at present £35. Cllr Bosworth has registered the Parish Council and the clerk is arranging for a direct debit to be set for the ICO payment. The Council also needs a Data Protection Officer (DPO) however this cannot be any councillor or the Parish Clerk, this is still being discussed with the ICO as to what small authorities can do to comply with this easily.
9 Revision of the Village Plan
9.1 There is nothing further to report since the last meeting regarding the revision of the village plan.
9.2 A group of volunteers is needed to work on the project once it begins. Cllr Ashby will write a short piece for Allington News asking for villagers to consider putting themselves forward for this project. It is hoped that the article will be published in the next edition. (Action point: SA)
10 Communication to villagers
10.1 The clerk reported in Cllr Bosworth’s absence that he has been looking into the publication of information via social media. This will be on the agenda for the next meeting. (Action point: clerk)
11 Village Hall matters
11.1 The Parish Council read the report that the VHMC Chairman had provided in his absence for the meeting. The reports stated that:
• the village hall is now formally registered with the Land Registry.
• a number of electrical tasks have been undertaken in recent weeks, including the fitting LED lights
• the committee had, following a survey, received suggestions that the old surgery could be turned into a community library
11.2 Also in the report the Chairman of the VHMC asked whether the Parish Council would consider, again, whether it would become a Custodian Trustee. The proposed Clause 13.4 of the Village Hall Constitution, which states that the Parish council must do all that is asked of it by the Management Committee in relation to the property, was reviewed.
11.3 After discussion the Parish Council voted unanimously to reject the clause. The clerk would enquire to LALC how other Parish Councils may have dealt with similar issues. (Action point: clerk)
12 Highway matters
12.1 The roads around the village are in a poor state, made worse by the recent cold weather. As County Councillor Whittington had already stated he has reported his findings to the Highways division. Bottom Street is in a bad way but with drainage work imminent any repair and resurfacing of the road would wait until the work had taken place. Potholes around the village should continue to be reported.
12.2 The County Council is giving Parish Councils the opportunity to enter into a Grass Cutting Agreement. Although a lot of the village verges in Allington are being cut by others other than the County Council further enquiries are being made to ascertain whether it would be beneficial to pursue this Agreement.
13 Playing field matters:
13.1 The clerk reported that she had received a call from a villager asking whether they would be permitted to use the far end of the field for dog agility. The villager had stated that there would only be two dogs, hers and her neighbour’s, and they would use a couple of jumps and weave poles. They are mindful of not training the dogs when children are playing and they would be respectful of other users. The dogs would not encroach upon the main field and keep to the avenues as requested.
13.2 It was noted that the verges around the playing field are looking better than in previous years. It is clear that GYFC visitors have been making efforts to ensure that cars are using the car park more this season. This would continue to be monitored.
13.3 Planning permission is underway for the new building proposed for the playing field. More information will follow at subsequent meetings.
13.4 Cllr Ashby reported that the donation of trees from the Woodland Trust has arrived. There are around 60 mixed trees. Children from the school will help plant them in the Community Wood.
13.5 Cllr Reynolds has agreed to sit on the Playing Field Advisory Group. She will attend future advisory group meetings.
14 Planning matters
14.1 Applications received and determined since the last Parish Council meeting on 10 January 2018:
• Approval – Manor House, Bottesford Lane – Proposed change of use to provide up to six hotel rooms
• Application – Old Stables, The Green – conservatory to the rear
• Application – Dovecotes, Bottesford Lane – single storey side and rear extension
15 Financial matters
15.1 The clerk reported on the income and outgoings since the last meeting on 10 January 2018:
Income total – £2.06
• Bank interest – £2.06
Outgoings total – £1809.67
• P E Hempstead – £278.58
(LG(MP)A 1976 s19)
• Opus Energy – £25.40
(LG(MP)A 1976 s19)
• E-on Energy – £10.17
(LG(MP)A 1976 s19)
• Padlocks to secure toilets at field (SA) – £12.58
(LG(MP)A 196 s19)
• Entertainment grants for 2018 – £1,000.00
(LGA 1972 s145)
• P Fox, noticeboard in Gonerby Lane – £101.52
(LG(MP)A 196 s19
• LALC training and subscription – £302.22
(LG(MP)A 196 s19
• G R Gilder, hedge cutting – £79.20
(LG(MP)A 1976 s19)
Plus Clerk and Caretakers’ salaries.
(LGA 1972 s 112)
15.2 Councillors unanimously approved the payments retrospectively. Feedback will be provided regarding the Entertainment grants.
15.3 The Parish Council’s financial accounts will be prepared by the clerk in preparation for the 2017/18 year end audit. (Action point; clerk)
16 Any other business for future meetings
16.1 The following would be on the agenda at the next Parish Council meeting:
• Village plan
• Social media policy
• Village Cross
17 Date of next meeting
17.1 The next Annual Parish Meeting will be on Wednesday 11 April 2018 at 7.30pm.
17.2 The next Parish Council meeting will be on Wednesday 9 May 2018 at 7.30pm.
Signed: ———————————– (Chairman). Date: ————————————–