Parish Council Minutes 13 September 2017
Allington Parish Council
Notes of Parish Council Meeting held in the Village Hall
Wednesday 13 September 2017
Present: Councillor Bosworth Councillor Carter
Councillor Jackson Councillor Plummer
Sharon Milne (clerk)
County Councillor Mark Wittington
District Councillor Pam Bosworth
1. Chairman’s remarks
1.1 The Chairman opened the meeting and thanked those present for attending. Gary Howell stated that he had concerns over the Downtown proposal to provide an outlet village at Gonerby Moor as he believed that it would very likely increase traffic in the village. He wanted to know what thoughts the Parish Council had regarding this.
1.2 The Parish Council stated that it was not necessarily a matter for the Parish Council at this stage. However, should villagers wish to have a meeting with the prospective developers to hear their plans this could be requested. The Parish Council suggested that a meeting be arranged for villagers, possibly held in the village hall. The clerk would contact the Downtown management and provide the village hall’s contact details. (Action point: clerk)
1.3 Cllr Bosworth stated that he had recently been on a LALC training course for Councillors. He would share the information he gleaned as the meeting continues.
2.1 Cllr Cant offered her apologies, she was working away. Cllr Ashby offered her apologies; she was unable to attend due to lack of childcare. The apologies were accepted.
2.2 District Cllr Hannah Westrupp also sent her apologies.
3. Declarations of Interest
3.1 There were no declarations of interest.
4. Minutes of the annual meeting held on 12 July 2017
4.1 The minutes were confirmed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.
5. Correspondence received since the meeting held on 12 July 2017
5.1 The clerk reported on some of the correspondence received and sent.
a) Thank you letter from Twinning Association for the donation.
b) Notification and subsequent inspection of the playing field
c) Parish Council’s comments sent for the Local Plan consultation
d) Information regarding LALC’s AGM on 17 October
e) Electricity renewal information
f) Confirmation that the Welby Arms is registered as a Village Asset
g) Notification of road closures in area.
h) Email re: changing demographics of Lincolnshire
i) Copy of letter from County Cllr Whittington to villager re: missing bollards and Gonerby Lane
j) Notification of changes in Data Protection legislation due in May 2018
k) Email from Head of Engagement and Inclusion at SW LIncs Clinical Commissioning Group to offer information
l) Invoice received from VHMC requesting payment of sanding of the village hall floor
m) Email Lincolnshire Resilience Forum regarding weather warning for high wind 12 September
n) Resignation of Cllr Carter from the Parish Council with immediate effect.
o) Cheque for £35 from Allington News from the recent Scarecrow competition to be earmarked for the restoration of the village cross.
5.2 Regarding Cllr Carter’s resignation, the clerk will contact SKDC’s Electoral Services to notify them of the Councillor vacancy and place a formal notice on the Parish Council noticeboard. In due course SKDC will notify the Parish Council if there will be a bi-election or whether Co-option of a Councillor procedure is required. (Action point; clerk)
6 Representations made to the Parish Council since the agenda has been set
6.1 There were no representations made to the Council after the agenda had been set.
7. Objectives for the forthcoming year
7.1 Councillors were reminded of the objectives set for 2017.
• To continue with the objective to repair to the footpath along from South Lodge to the church continues. The matter is ongoing. LCC are aware that the path needs attention but it is a matter of finances presently. Cllr Bosworth is in contact with the Highways and is seeking a meeting.
• The pavilion has been a high priority with the Playing Field Advisory Group throughout 2017. This continues and is progressing well.
• The village plan should be reviewed and a new survey undertaken.
8 Seats for the Village
8.1 Cllr Bosworth has been seeking quotes from street furniture providers. He has received two quotes and awaits the third. The matter will be discussed again at a future meeting. (Action point: AB)
9 Telephone box – update
9.1 There was nothing more to note on this matter. (Action point: AB)
10 Village Sign – update
10.1 The sign was now installed and looks lovely. Thank you to everyone involved in fabricating the post and installing it on The Green. There has been lots of favourable comments. Mr Martin Jackson has been thanked, by letter, for his work on the post.
11 Village Asset update
11.1 Following advice a new application had been made to register the Welby Arms as a village asset. The secondary application had been made because the first decision had been made on the erroneous assumption that the Welby Arms has the status of a hotel.
11.2 The decision has now been received that The Welby Arm is now registered as a Community Asset. Many thanks to Richard Withington for his work on this.
12 Local Plan Consultation update
12.1 Comments were forwarded to SKDC thanks to Cllr Jackson and Cllr Bosworth for this.
13 Revision of the Village Plan
13.1 There was nothing further to report on the revision of the Village Plan. The clerk has confirmed with Community Lincs that the Parish Council agrees in principle to Community Lincs providing support with the development of a new Plan. Community Lincs will await further instruction. The matter will be discussed at a future meeting. (Action point: clerk)
14 Village Hall matters
14.1 Cllr Bosworth reported that he had attended a recent VHMC to observe the meeting. He said that the constitution was raised but there was misunderstanding regarding the reasons why the Parish Council is reluctant to agree to the wording of the new constitution.
14.2 Cllr Bosworth stated that he had read the Village Hall’s constitution and it states that the village hall needs to be registered with Land Registry before any action can be taken regarding reviewing or changing its trustees. It was reported that the VHMC will now pursue this registration.
14.3 It was agreed that the clerk would write to the VHMC to remind it that it needs to inform the Chairman of the Parish Council when meetings are to be held and provide minutes. (Action point: clerk)
14.4 The VHMC had recently sent an invoice to the PC for the sanding of the floor. The matter was discussed and it was agreed that as the ringfenced money is for capital project expenditure only this invoice could not be paid by the Parish Council. The clerk will contact the Chairman of the Village Hall to explain this decision reaffirming that the ringfenced money is specifically for capital projects and not for maintenance. (Action point: clerk)
15.1 Cllr Bosworth reported on the most recent data that had been gathered by the interactive speed indicator device. The device has been around the various agreed spot except Foston Lane. Cllr Bosworth recapped on the data already gleaned. Cars parked on Bottom Street had also slowed the traffic.
15.2 In her absence, Cllr Ashby had requested an update on the hedges which are encroaching the highway, specifically on Lambert Road and Peach Lane. Cllr Bosworth stated that he had phoned Highways and discussed the matter. Highways had stated that they would look into this and contact landowners.
15.3 County Councillor Wittington reported that he had received an email from the Secretary of the Allington Garden’s Residents Association regarding the hedge along Peach Lane. He will respond to say that Cllr Bosworth had been in touch with Highways.
15.4 One of the street lamps on Sedgebrook Road is faulty and is lit all day. It needs a clean and will be reported to Highways.
16 Playing field matters
16.1 Playing Field Advisory Group members reported on their recent meeting.
16.2 The Parish Council was updated regarding the new playing field building. The drawings are complete and enquires are being made to determine whether planning permission is required, and if so, what the fee may be. Once this information is determine the matter will be reported back to the Parish Council.
16.3 To further progress the development of the new building it was decided, unanimously, that the portacabins need to be removed as soon as possible. Their removal may necessitate the services of an electrician. It was suggested that GYFC may be able to help with this.
16.4 It was reported that the matter of the new build was brought up at a recent GYFC meeting and there was agreement, in principle, for some form of financial support to be considered by GYFC committee members. Specific details would be discussed.
16.5 The clerk reported in Cllr Ashby’s absence that she had been approached by a group that wished to start Walking Netball in the village. As there are no netball goals at the MUGA it was requested that the Parish Council consider buying a pair. The matter was noted but there are issues associated with this. If the posts were to be a permanent fixture they need to be secured, if the posts are able to be dismantled then they need secure storage and there is no immediate solution for storage. This request was therefore noted but it was concluded that more thought needs to be put into the proposal before purchasing.
16.6 Cllr Sharp requested that a letter and donation be considered for BBMF following the Lancaster fly-over at the fundraising event. A draft letter would be forwarded to the clerk.
16.7 The clerk reported that the RoSPA report had been received. A few issues have been highlighted which are down to a lack of maintenance. The Playing Field Advisory Group will discuss a plan of action and necessary estimates for the work will be sought. A maintenance programme will be considered.
16.8 The old goalposts were highlighted as unsafe by the RoSPA report. It was concluded that these goals need to be removed from the field.
16.9 The PFAG proposed that the existing usable car park at the field needs definition. Users are still not using the car park to its maximum as they assume that the grass area is out of bounds. A few tonnes of scrapings spread over the areas would make the area visibly larger and encourage people to make better use of the area.
16.10 It was reported that the gate at the far end of the field was opened at a recent football fixture for home team vehicles to use. Though this was done it was not an effective solution as hoped, and some poor parking issues still need resolving. This matter needed further discussion with GYFC.
17 Planning matters
17.1 Applications received and determined since the last Parish Council meeting on 12 July 2017:
• Approval – Eastleigh, The Green – Pollard (T1) horse chestnut and removal of (T2) Ash tree
• Approval – Brackenhill, Side Street – fell five trees
• Approval – Bridleway, Bottesford Road – erection of garage
• Notice– 35 Park Road, Prior Notification Under Part 1 Class A is not required for larger home extension
• Application – 88 Rowan Way – Erection of concrete garage
18 Financial matters
18.1 The clerk reported on the income and outgoings since the last meeting on 12 July 17:
Income total – £3,870.28
Parish Council Playing Field Fundraisers Group
• Bank interest – £1.24
• Donation: Village Cross fund – £35 • Refund of float – £1,715.00
• Income from On the Green event – £2154.04
Outgoings total – £985.05
Parish Council Playing Field Fundraisers Group
• P E Hempstead – £784.48
• Opus Energy – £28.87
• LALC LCR Publication – £17.50
• LALC Councillor training (AB) – £25
• Postcrete for village sign – £20
• Playsafety Ltd – £109.20 • No outgoings
Plus Clerk and Caretakers’ salaries.
18.2 Councillors unanimously approved the payments retrospectively.
18.3 The clerk reported that she had been in discussion with Make It Cheaper to source renewal of the electricity contract. As the electricity consumption is extremely low there are few electricity companies that offer such a low package as the one with Opus Energy. It was recommended that the Parish Council pursue renewal with them. The figures quoted will be a slight reduction in payments per month. (Action point: clerk)
18.4 Cllr Bosworth spoke about the Financial Regulations. The Transparency Code for Smaller Council means that the Parish Council will no longer will have the usual external audit at the end of this financial year. Notes of Parish Council meetings will be published within 30 days of the meeting. More information will follow regarding the 2017/18 audit procedure.
18.5 For clarity, Councillors were reminded that the ringfenced amounts, held within the Parish Council’s account, is still public money but earmarked for specific reasons agreed by the Parish Council. There was discussion about future payments requested by the Playing Field Advisory Group for the village’s Fundraising Group. Future payments will be considered under the appropriate LGA legislation.
19 Any other business for future meetings
19.1 The following would be on the agenda at the next Parish Council meeting:
• Village plan
• Seats for the village
20 Date of next meeting
20.1 The next Parish Council meeting will be on Wednesday 8 November 2017 at 7.30pm.
Not yet approved by the Parish Council
Signed: ———————————– (Chairman). Date: ————————————–