A Recipe From Allington W.I.
Contributed by: Liz Bailey.
6oz self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4oz soft butter or margarine
2 large eggs
1Tbs of powdered coffee
3Tbs of Milk
2oz chopped walnuts plus few for decoration
3oz butter or margarine
5/6oz icing sugar
- Grease cake tin 7 inch (18cm)
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Easier with a mixer!
- Put mixture into it and bake at 180˚C/350˚F/Gas mk4 for about 35/40 mins or until centre springs back when touched
- Leave to cool
- Beat sugar and butter together until it becomes creamy and almost white
- When cake is cool cut through it horizontally, use half of the butter cream to sandwich them together. Use other half to spread over the top of the cake. decorate with walnuts.