A Recipe From Allington W.I.
Contributed by: Liz Bailey.
8oz self raising flour
1 tsp of baking powder
2oz butter or margarine
1 medium egg
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 level tsp of mustard powder
½ cream of tartar
- Pre-heat oven to 220˚C/425˚F/Gas mk 7
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add butter or margarine, cayenne pepper, cream of tartar, mustard powder and cheese. Rub in with the finger tips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Whisk the egg lightly; add to mixture with just enough milk to form a dough.
- Roll out on a floured board to a thickness of 1 ½″/ 4cm. cut into rounds
- Place rounds on greased baking tray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until risen and golden brown
- Leave to cool, then split horizontally and sandwich with Philadelphia cream cheese.