A Recipe From Allington W.I.
Contributed by: Margaret Dicken.
8 oz cooking apples – peeled, cored and chopped
8 oz sultanas
¼ pt milk
6 oz soft brown sugar
12 oz Self Raising Flour
2 level tsp mixed spice
6 oz butter
1 egg – beaten
1 oz demerara sugar
- Mix together apples, sultanas, milk and brown sugar.
- Sieve together flour, spice and then rub in butter.
- Add fruit mixture and egg, mix well.
- Place in greased lined tin.
- Sprinkle on Demerara sugar.
- Bake until risen and golden.
160°C for approximately 1 hour 45 minutes.
I don’t weigh apples – just guess! Freezes well.