Parish Council Minutes September 2016
Allington Parish Council
Minutes of Parish Council Meeting held in the Village Hall
Wednesday 14 September 2016
Present: Councillor Jackson Councillor Bosworth
Councillor Ashby Councillor Plummer
Councillor Sharp Councillor Carter
Councillor Cant Sharon Milne (clerk)
1. Chairman’s remarks
1.1 The Chairman opened the meeting and thanked those present for attending. The following points were raised:
a) A villager stated that he would like the Parish Council to consider listing The Welby Arms as an ‘asset of community value’. The village presently has a good relationship with the pub but this may not always be the case if, for example, the landlord changes or the business is sold. It was noted that it may not be a large cost to register the pub with SKDC as an asset of community value and doing so may safeguard its future for villagers as it does have a community role. Cllr Cant said that she would look into the matter. (Action point: MC)
b) A resident updated the Parish Council regarding the overdue work on the drains that should have been installed by LCC Highways along Bottom Street. Frustratingly Highways have postponed the work on the road. LCC state that late issues found on part of the system on Bottom Street has led to a redesign of the scheme which has major financial implications, hence part of the scheme was completed but the remainder cannot be undertaken this financial year due to budget constraints. The work will now not be scheduled until 2018. This delay means that the road is still likely to flood. County Councillor Paul Wood met residents recently and would see if he could help get the work reinstated earlier. The Parish Council supports the residents of Bottom Street and understands their concerns. A letter would be sent to Highways. (Action point: MC & clerk)
2.1 County Cllr Paul Wood sent his apologies; he is attending another Parish Council meeting elsewhere.
3. Declarations of Interest
3.1 There were no declarations of interest.
4. Minutes of the annual meeting held on 13 July 2016
4.1 The minutes were confirmed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.
5 Correspondence received since the meeting held on 13 July 2016
5.1 The clerk reported on some of the correspondence received and sent:
a) Ongoing correspondence re: level crossing and downgrading of Sewstern Lane to a bridleway
b) Ongoing correspondence re: road safety signs (AB)
c) Notification of LALC and Community Lincs AGMs
d) Information re: online consultation of planning applications
e) Confirmation of Parish Councillors to SKDC Electoral Division
f) Correspondence regarding the siting and permissions for the new village sign
g) Enquiry from resident regarding the padlock and chain at the entrance of the open area at Park Road/Park Avenue
h) Village Hall rent review details
i) Contact with Wicksteed regarding faulty bolt
j) LALC training opportunities
k) Enquiry from resident for the Parish Council to consider applying for nominating that the Welby Arms be included in the list of Assets of Community Value
l) Audit closure from Grant Thornton LLP
m) Correspondence from Bottom Street residents re: drains
n) Enquiry regarding the scheme to switch off street lights in the night
6 Representations made to the Parish Council since the agenda has been set
6.1 There were no representations made to the Council after the agenda had been set.
7 Objectives for the forthcoming year
7.1 Councillors were reminded of the three objectives for this year:
• To repair/renovate the footpath along from South Lodge to the church. The path is in a poor state and the slabs are uneven. Councillors are keen to ensure that the path retains its heritage and is not simply dug up and replaced with tarmac.
• To consider the pavilion at the playing field.
• To continue to look at the village’s road safety, specifically speed initiative measures.
8 Telephone box
8.1 Cllr Bosworth informed the Parish Council that some villagers had approached him to ask whether the village would be able to obtain a traditional red telephone box to replace the present one outside the Welby Arms. This group of villagers would be prepared to fund the restoration of a red box. A traditional style box would be more in keeping with the rest of the village.
8.2 Cllr Bosworth further spoke about a BT scheme ‘Adopt a Box’ which he is looking into. Planning permission is likely to be needed from SKDC for any changes. Enquiries will be made and Cllr Bosworth will report back on his findings at the November meeting. (Action point: AB)
9 Village Asset
9.1 See minute – 1.1 a). Cllr Cant will take an initial look at the matter.
10 Community Shelter
10.1 Cllr Bosworth reported that the planned work on the community shelter’s roof has yet to be completed. Due to the change in season the weather will restrict when the work can be done. It is now likely that this work will take place in the Spring / Summer 2017.
11 Sewstern Lane including the Level Crossing
11.1 Cllr Cant updated the Parish Council on the state of Sewstern Lane. It is still impassable due to it being very overgrown. The Highways division have also stated that the lane is no longer to be downgraded to bridleway status even though Network Rail has downgraded their crossing. The clerk will raised the question as to whether this crossing is now fit for purpose. The fact that the new gates are padlocked obstructs the highway.
11.2 The Parish Council supports the lane being downgraded and the locks on the gates have resulted in less use of the lane by motorised vehicles, especially 4x4s which may help the lane recover. The Parish Council will express its concern that Network Rail was allowed to undertake upgrades to their crossing on the basis that they would apply to downgrade the lane at some point in the future. (Action point: MC & clerk)
12 Village Cross
12.1 There was nothing further to add since the last meeting on the matter of the Village Cross. However, Cllr Bosworth will continue to pursue this, he will also make enquiries as to whether Historic England have an opinion as to whether the new village sign should be sited so close to the village cross. (Action point: AB)
13 Best Kept Village 2016
13.1 Congratulations to everyone in the village as Allington has won ‘Runner Up’ in its category of Lincolnshire Best Kept Village competition 2016. An invitation has been received to attend the awards evening at Grimsthorpe Castle, on 30 September.
14 Village Hall matters
14.1 There was no representative present from the Village Hall Management Committee at this month’s meeting; however, Cllr Jackson stated that all seems to be going well.
14.2 It was noted that the recent Community Barbeque held at the village hall had been well attended. Well done to all that were involved in this fundraising event.
15 Highways matters
15.1 Cllr Bosworth reported that the passive 30mph road signs have been installed on the main roads around the village. The Parish Council currently awaits the delivery of the interactive speed indicator device. This device will be up and running in specific points in the village once Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership have installed new posts. New posts will be installed as there are no appropriate lamp posts available. The Speed Indicator Device will be able to record data on speeding track.
15.2 It was noted that LCC has just renewed the white lines in the middle of the main roads within the village.
15.3 Bottesford Road is in a poor state, it has significant potholes and has sunk on both sides which could cause damage to vehicles. The clerk will ask Highways to inspect the state of this road and advises whether works could be undertaken to rectify these issues. (Action point: clerk)
15.4 Other points that the clerk will raise with Highways are:
• The state of Gonerby Lane
• The junction of Bottesford Road and the village Green where tarmac is loose
• The footpath from the village shop to the village church is in a poor state.
16 Playing field matters
16.1 Cllr Carter reported back from the recent Playing Field Advisory Group meeting.
16.2 A resident has emailed with her thoughts on the current progress and future recommendations for the conservation of the Community Wood. This will be discussed further when the group has the opportunity to meet up at the field and look at the options. (Action point: PFAG)
16.3 The RoSPA report has been received on the play equipment. There is nothing which is considered a ‘high’ risk but there are a few points that require attention. The PFAG will take a look at the specific points. (Action point: PFAG)
16.4 Youths have been spotted on the portacabin rooves. There is a concern that any CCTV cameras mounted there would be an easy target for vandals. Anti-vandal paint is being considered as a deterrent, or erecting a stand-alone pole to mount the cameras on. The PFAG will report back on this after discussion.
16.5 The amount of vehicles from GYFC parking at the field over the weekends will be monitored. Cllr Carter will consider options going forward. It is a difficult situation to regulate but it is important that the road is not blocked nor the verges ruined.
16.6 A new fence is due to be erected around the children’s play area. The PFAG are currently organising a date for installation.
16.7 Cllr Bosworth stated that he had had an offer from villagers to refurbish the Wicksteed Flyer climbing frame in the Spring. Councillors were very grateful for this generous offer.
16.8 All three portacabins at the field will need replacing in the near future as they are getting into a poor condition. A robust structure is needed to replace these cabins. The PFAG will discuss options.
16 Planning matters
16.1 Applications received and determined since the last Parish Council meeting on 13 July 2016:
• Approval – 8 Gonerby Lane – retention of log cabin as hairdresser’s salon
• Application and approval – The Small House, Side Street – Work to Ash tree
• Application – 13 Willow Way – erection of garage
• Application – Red House Farm, The Green – Alterations to chimney, doors and windows
17 Financial matters
17.1 The clerk reported on the income and outgoings since the last meeting on 13 July 2016:
Event on the Green income – £2346.02
Bank interest – £2.16
Beer for Event on the Green – 105.00
Provision for the Event on the Green – £576.00
Rentokil – £108.80
Donation to Twinning Association – £100.00
Tim Cullington (plaque) – £450.00
Internal Auditor gift – £32.26
Opus energy – £26.23
P E Hempstead – £774.60
Neighbourhood Watch Signs – £76.50
Unipart Dortman (Speed indicators) – £2733.60
Playsafety (RoSPA inspection) – £109.20
Grant Thornton Audit fees – £240.00
Plus Clerk and Caretakers’ salaries.
17.2 Councillors unanimously approved the payments retrospectively.
18 Any other business for future meetings
18.1 The following would be on the agenda at the Annual Parish Meeting:
• Telephone box
• Community Shelter
• Village Cross
19 Date of next meeting
19.1 The next Parish Council meeting will be on Wednesday, 9 November 2016 at 7.30pm.
Signed: ———————————– (Chairman). Date: ————————————–