Parish Council Minutes September 2015
Allington Parish Council
Minutes of Parish Council Meeting held in the village hall
Wednesday 9 September 2015
Present: Councillor Jackson Councillor Bosworth
Councillor Ashby Councillor Plummer
Councillor Sharp Councillor Carter
Sharon Milne (clerk)
Also present: Cathy Green – Chairman VHMC
1. Chairman’s remarks
1.1 The Chairman opened the meeting and thanked those present for attending. There was nothing in particular that villagers wished to raise.
2.1 Cllr Cant was absent from the meeting.
2.2 District Councillor Pam Bosworth had sent her apologies as she was unwell. County Councillor Paul Wood sent his apologies; he had another meeting to attend.
3. Declarations of Interest
3.1 Cllr Ashby declared an interest in the discussion regarding the village sign (agenda item 10) as she had designed it.
4. Minutes of the annual meeting held on 8 July 2015
4.1 The minutes of the meeting on 8 July omitted to state that the Parish Council had agreed to erect a fence at the community wood as per the lease agreement with the landowner. Otherwise the minutes were confirmed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.
5 Correspondence received since the meeting held on 8 July 2015
5.1 The clerk reported on some of the correspondence received and sent:
a) Notice and response to LALC regarding the death of Richard Enderby, formerly Chief Executive of LALC
b) Notice from Highways stating that Bottom Street would be closed for a couple of days, week commencing 26 October 2015
c) Enquiry from Highway as to whether Allington has public toilets that their workforce could use
d) Enquiries from ‘Make it Cheaper’ re: electricity contract
e) RoSPA report and invoice
f) Email enquiry from a villager regarding 30mph wheelie bin stickers
g) Various brochures and fliers.
5.2 Regarding point (c) the clerk had informed Highways that there are toilets at the playing field. The key can be obtained should their workforce be working locally.
5.3 Regarding point (d) the contract with Opus would be renewed.
5.4 Regarding point (e) the RoSPA report, the clerk would arrange to get an electronic copy and forward it to the Playing Field Advisory Group councilors. (Action point: clerk)
6 Representations made to the Parish Council since the agenda has been set
6.1 There were no representations made to the Council after the agenda had been set.
7 Objectives for the forthcoming year
7.1 The clerk reminded Councillors of the two key objectives for the Parish Council this year:
• To continue with the work to look at the preservation and renovation of the village cross
• To continue with the development of the Community Wood
8 Village Cross
8.1 Cllr Bosworth stated that there was nothing more to report about the village cross at this stage. The matter is on-going.
9 Waste Bins and Village Benches
9.1 The clerk reported back regarding the enquiries she had made with SKDC to provide additional litter bins in the village. SKDC had asked where new bins were required. SKDC officials stated that they would undertake monitoring of the area in question for a period of 2/3 weeks to see if there was need for additional bins.
9.2 After discussion it was suggested that the Parish Council propose that bins are provided at:
• the far end of the Playing Field
• at the opening of the community wood at the Playing Field
• the top end of the school’s jitty in Side Street
• at the far end of the village Green (at the Red House Farm end) near the bench
The clerk would inform SKDC accordingly. It was noted that SKDC had stated that these requests would not be considered until the end of October due to staffing levels. (Action point: clerk)
8.3 Cllr Bosworth stated that villager, Mr Fox, had kindly agreed to undertake remedial work on all the village benches as some were in need of repair. Cllrs readily agreed to his generous offer and agreed unanimously to refund expenses likely to be incurred of around £60.
10 Village Sign
10.1 A while ago the Village Hall Management Committee asked villagers, through Allington News, to design an ornate village sign for the village. The idea of having a village sign was instigated by the Village Plan. There were 98 entries in this competition and the winning sign has been selected.
10.2 Enquiries have been made by representatives of the VHMC to commission work from a metal artist based in Manchester The breakdown of the estimated cost for this is: £400 for the sign, £210 for the pole and £90 delivery.
10.3 Four councillors voted in favour of the Parish Council commissioning and funding the sign, one councillor abstained. Cllr Ashby did not vote having declared an interest in the matter as she had created the winning design.
10.4 Representatives of the VHMC would continue to pursue the matter and report back to the Parish Council at future meetings.
11 Queen Elizabeth II – 90th birthday celebrations in April 2016
11.1 To celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday next April a number of village events are being planned. Representatives of the VHMC stated that on St George’s Day the Village Hall would hold a Spring Fair and it was hoped that other village groups, like Allington Morris, the school, the church would join in the celebrations. More details of planned events would be announced over the next few months.
12 ‘Walks around Allington’ leaflet
12.1 Approximately 8 years ago a leaflet was created showing a number of walks in and around Allington. At the time the leaflet was produced it was very popular and Cllr Jackson stated that he had been asked whether an updated leaflet could be reissued.
12.2 Cllrs though this would be a good idea and the matter was referred to the VHMC to consider further.
13 Village hall matters
13.1 The Chairman of the Village Hall Management Committee informed the Parish Council that the village hall’s floor had been sanded and re-varnished. The bill for this would come out of the money ringfenced for the Village Hall in the Parish Council’s bank account. (Action point: clerk)
13.2 Parish Councillors were very pleased to hear that the Village Hall had also been successful in their bid for a grant from WREN of £10k for major refurbishment. There were a number of projects that this funding would be used for. It was acknowledged that the VHMC were in a much stronger position financially. Parish Councillors congratulated the VHMC for their efforts in gaining the grant.
14 Highway matters
14.1 The clerk reported back on the matter that Cllr Plummer had raised at the previous meeting about installing a mirror on the junction of Side Street and Gonerby Lane to help drivers with visibility of on-coming traffic when turning right into Side Street. The clerk had made enquiries with LCC Highways and had received the response that mirrors are not permitted within the public highway. This line of enquiry would not therefore be pursued.
14.2 A villager, Helen Taylor, had raised the question of getting 30mph wheelie bin stickers to encourage drivers to heed the speed limit when wheelie bins were out. The clerk reported that she had made enquiries with SKDC and LCC on the matter. Neither authority had concerns with the bins having stickers of this kind placed on them.
14.3 Cllr Carter showed the meeting a couple of 30 mph stickers that he had created. The labels were received favourably and copies of these were forwarded to the website and Allington News to be publicised in their forthcoming edition. The labels would cost between £1.25 and £1.60 depending on the number ordered. Mrs Taylor said she would make enquiries with residents in Bottom Street and liaise with Cllr Carter.
15 Playing field matters
15.1 Cllr Carter reported back from the recent Playing Field Advisory Group meeting. There have been football teams using the playing field other than GYFC and payments are outstanding to contribute to the upkeep of the pitch. The Nobody Inn, in Grantham, had been playing matches regularly over the summer months and it was agreed that an invoice should be sent to them for £150, for 10 matches at £15. (Action point: clerk)
15.2 Cllr Sharp knew of another team that had also used the pitch. He would chase them for a payment. (Action point: MS)
15.3 Parish Councillors had looked at a number of issues that need addressing at the playing field. General maintenance had been done at the MUGA. However the surface was in need of attention in the corners. The Hempsteads would be spoken to regarding this.
15.4 The goalposts in the MUGA were considered to be no longer fit for use. The PFAG would look at repairing them or sourcing new nets and posts. (Action point: PFAG)
15.5 It was also decided to remove the old fixed goal post on the pitch. Prices would be found to look at appropriate replacements. The PFAG will decide on equipment and bring quotes to the next Parish Council meeting for consideration. (Action point: PFAG)
15.6 The portacabins would be cleared out and tidied shortly and at this time the cabins would be checked for maintenance issues. GYFC have agreed to help with this. A skip would be used for the clear out and GYFC have agreed to pay half the costs.
15.7 A ridge tile has been dislodged from the toilet block and the cistern in the ladies toilet needs attention. This will be looked at. (Action point: PFAG)
15.8 A quote would be obtained for cladding around the portacabins and to shroud the electricity meter box.
15.9 Mrs Taylor spoke about the Community Wood. She was concerned that the wood needed a boundary fence and she was also concerned that there appeared to be no growth at all in the wood. Cllr Sharp stated that a fence had now been installed and some of the wood had been cleared in order to install the fence – the growth should come back.
15.10 The next fundraising event would be Bonfire Night on 5 November. Before then the bonfire area would be tidied up and cleared of the polythene that had been left around the field. Cllr Jackson said that he would get bulbs for the wood purchased and planted. (Action point: GJ)
15.11 There was a discussion about replacing the fence around the children’s play area. The current fence is unsightly and time consuming to maintain. A quote would be sought. (Action point: PFAG)
15.12 Finally other works being considered are:
• the enlargement of the car park by clearing an area of undergrowth
• establishing a picnic area near to the MUGA
• netting the MUGA to avoid stray balls coming over the high fence and landing in and around the children’s play area.
16 Planning matters
16.1 Applications received and determined since the last Parish Council meeting on 8 July 2015:
• Approval – Yew Tree Cottage, Side Street – Erection of 2 storey front extension and Yew tree – crown reduce in height and width by 1.5m. Walnut tree – crown reduce in height and width to 2.5m
• Approval – 48 Park Road – Demolition of conservatory and erection of two storey rear extension
• Approval – Braemar, Side Street – Single storey rear/side extension
• Application – 2 Lambert Road – two storey side extension
• Application – South Lodge – demolition of conservatory and single storey extension
• Application – Plumtree House – single storey rear extension
16.2 Whirlwind Renewables application for 8 wind turbines – decision still awaited.
16.3 SKDC had given notice of an application for 10 x 110m high wind turbines at Fulbeck.
17 Financial matters
17.1 The clerk reported on the income and outgoings since the last meeting on 8 July 2015:
• Bank interest – £2.13
• Party in the Park income – £2684.88
• Opus energy – £21.51
• G Mudfords (marquee) – 1170.00
• S Ashley expenses – £16.07
• Sue Jackson (stock planters) – £75.00
• M Sharp expenses – £560.60 (Car park material for pot holes)
• M Sharp expenses – £360.00 (Erection of 40m Post and Rail fencing)
• Jackson’s of Allington – £350.04 (Lighting for Fundraiser group events)
• G Jackson – £ 402.90 (Mic system for Fundraiser’s group events
• Posts, paddock Tape and hardstanding for Fundraiser event)
• P E Hempstead – £762.00
• LIVES – £1600.00
• Grant Thornton – £240.00
• Leisure Maintenance (Nottm) (VH sand and seal floor) – £960.00
Plus Clerk and Caretaker’s salaries
17.2 Councillors unanimously approved the payments retrospectively.
18 Any other business for future meetings
18.1 The following would be on the agenda at the November meeting:
• Standing Orders and Financial Regulations
19 Date of next meeting
19.1 The next meeting will be:11 November 2015
Signed: ———————————– (Chairman). Date: ————————————–