Parish Council Minutes July 2015
Allington Parish Council
Minutes of Parish Council Meeting held in the village hall
Wednesday 8 July 2015
Present: Councillor Jackson Councillor Bosworth
Councillor Cant Councillor Ashby
Councillor Sharp Councillor Carter
Councillor Plummer Sharon Milne (clerk)
Also present: County Councillor Paul Wood
1. Chairman’s remarks
1.1 The Chairman opened the meeting and thanked those present for attending.
a) Following comments at a previous Parish Council meeting County Councillor Wood spoke about the apparently lack of enforcement of the zig-zag lines associated with the school safety zone. He had ascertained that if cars are causing a hazard around the school safety zone the police would act upon it.
2.1 There were no apologies from Parish Councillors – all were present.
2.2 District Councillor Pam Bosworth had sent her apologies as she was attending another Parish Council meeting.
3. Declarations of Interest
3.1 Cllrs Sharp and Carter declared an interest in recent payments that they had made on behalf of the Parish Council which would need retrospective approval at the meeting.
4. Minutes of the annual meeting held on 13 May 2015
4.1 The minutes were confirmed as a true record and signed by the Chairman.
5 Correspondence received since the meeting held on 13 May 2015
5.1 The clerk reported on some of the correspondence received and sent:
a) Email from a villager enquiring about 30mph stickers for wheelie bins
b) Letter informing that an Electoral Review of Lincolnshire is being undertaken details can be found on the LCC website
c) Various brochures and fliers.
6 Representations made to the Parish Council since the agenda has been set
6.1 There were no representations made to the Council after the agenda had been set.
7 Objectives for the forthcoming year
7.1 It was agreed that the two key objectives for the Parish Council this year would be:
• To continue with the work to look at the preservation and renovation of the village cross
• To continue with the development of the Community Wood
8 Village Cross
8.1 Cllr Bosworth updated the Council on the work he had undertaken to look at the procedures necessary to renovate the village cross. He also spoke about the inaccurate article reported in the Grantham Target recently which suggested that a contract had been agreed with a local company to renovate the cross. This is entirely wrong, no such decision has been made and an apology from the Target is expected to be printed.
8.2 Funding opportunities are needed to look at raising the money needed for this project and Cllr Ashby was thanked for her efforts to seek fundraising bodies.
8.3 The quote from Skillington Workshop for restoration and renovation of the cross amounted to £18k. Cllrs made various suggestions to seek funding opportunities. It was agreed that as a scheduled monument the village cross should be restored if possible although it will be very costly. Cllr Bosworth will continue working on this matter.
9 Village Shop
9.1 It was reported that the village shop has been sold as a going concern and it would have a new owner sometime in August. The annual grant agreed for the upkeep of the shop’s noticeboard would be paid to the new owner after the shop’s purchase. (Action point: clerk)
10 Waste bins
10.1 It was agreed that the village, as a whole, was short of waste bins. The playing field and the Green had bins but more were needed to keep the village clean. The clerk would contact SKDC and see whether two more bins could be provided. A decision as to where these bins could be sited would be discuss once it was known whether bins would be provided. (Action point: clerk)
11 Telephone box
11.1 The question was asked whether an old style red telephone box would be worth sourcing and reinstating outside The Welby Arms to replace the present kiosk style public phone. After discussion it was agreed that this was not worth pursuing at this time. There would be cost implications and further maintenance and cleaning considerations. It was thought that public phones were hardly ever used these days and accordingly it was decided that this idea was not considered a priority of this Parish Council and funds would be better committed to other priorities.
12 Village hall matters
12.1 The clerk confirmed that the 2015/16 grant of £2,000, agreed at the Annual Parish Council meeting, had been forwarded to the Village Hall Management Committee.
12.2 Parish Councillors were very pleased to see that the new doors had been installed between the hall and the kitchen area. The doors look good and would certainly help keep the hall warmer.
13 Circulation of Parish Council minutes
13.1 Cllr Ashby had been asked whether minutes of Parish Council meetings could be routinely sent to villagers that were interested in reading them. Parishioners were reminded that minutes, once approved, are available to be viewed on the village website:
Villagers were also encouraged to attend meetings if they were interested to hear what is being discussed. All Parish Council meetings are public and anyone is entitled to come along and hear the discussions.
13.2 The clerk stated that notes of the meeting are sent to Allington News after each meeting and a short resume was published in Allington News in the next edition. It was agreed that no other specific circulation of minutes would be provided.
14 Highway matters
14.1 Cllr Plummer asked whether it would be possible for a mirror to be installed on the junction of Side Street and Gonerby Lane to help drivers with visibility of on-coming traffic when turning right into Side Street. The junction is on a blind bend and is potentially dangerous. It was thought that it is only a matter of time before a nasty accident occurs there. The clerk would make enquiries with the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership and Highways and report back at the next Parish Council meeting. (Action point: clerk)
14.2 A villager had asked about 30mph wheelie bin stickers to encourage drivers to heed the speed limit when wheelie bins were out. Some other Lincolnshire villages have them.
14.3 The clerk reported that she had made enquiries with SKDC and despite being told by a Highway official that stickers could not be put on wheelie bins as they are the property of SKDC and not villagers, SKDC confirmed that they would have no objection to such a sticker being placed on their bins.
14.4 Cllr Carter would look into the costs of getting the stickers being made and report back to the next meeting. (Action point: SC)
14.5 It was noted that lorries were still passing through the village despite weight restrictions. Cllrs were reminded that weight restriction signs were not able to be moved to more prominent positions approaching the village as any sign needs to be sited where lorry drivers are able to turn their lorries around – this would not be possible at any point along Gonerby Lane or Sedgebrook Road.
14.6 There was further discussion as to whether the village should have delimiters, either painted on the road surface or with bollards. The clerk would make enquiries with the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership and Highways to see what they recommend and report back at the next Parish Council meeting. (Action point: clerk)
15 Playing field matters
15.1 Cllr Carter reported back from the recent Playing Field Advisory Group meeting. The Lark in the Park had been a successful event. However, at this stage it is too early to provide financial details for it. The car show the following day was also very successful and enjoyable. Well done to all those that contributed to its organisation.
15.2 The Playing Field Advisory Group had recently discussed the usage of the community wood. At this stage the area would continue to be tidied with a view to being made safe for children to play. The wood would be cleared and further discussions would take place as to how to develop it further shortly.
15.3 The PFAG had decided to place the brick podium to display the QEII plaque at the corner of the children’s play area. The fence would then continue either side of it. The builder who had offered the quote would be contacted once the fencing had been decided. Enquiries would be made with RoSPA regarding what type of fencing is recommended for safety. (Action point: PFAG)
15.4 The group had noted that the MUGA’s surface needs some attention in places. The goal posts inside the MUGA need fixing too. Cllrs Jackson and Sharp would look at this. (Action point: GJ & MS)
15.5 The potholes in the playing field car park had been filled by Cllr Sharp. It was agreed unanimously that Cllr Sharp should be reimbursed for this expense. (Action point: clerk)
15.6 The decision was made to remove and dispose of the old metal goal post nearest to the car park. It is an eyesore and no longer used. (Action point PFAG)
15.7 It was agreed that the electricity meter box was in a poor state and the box would be shrouded as part of improving the look of the field. (Action point: PFAG)
15.8 Gonerby Youth FC had agreed to help tidy the portacabins and are prepared to share the costs of a skip to take away the rubbish. The Parish Council agreed that the PFAG could contribute to the hire a skip for the sum of around £150 to clear this rubbish. (Action point: PFAG)
16 Planning matters
16.1 Applications received and determined since the last Parish Council meeting on 13 May 2015:
• Approval– Countryside Renewables Capital LLP – Solar Farm (11ha)
• Approval– Ashes Farm, Side Street – Erection of wooden Gazebo
• Approval – Dower House, Bottesford Road – replacement conservatory
• Approval – Wayside, Main Street – Demolition of existing garage and replacement with storage above
• Approval – Big 60millions – Solar Farm (11 ha)
• Application – Yew Tree Cottage, Side Street – Erection of 2 storey front extension and Yew tree – crown reduce in height and width by 1.5m. Walnut tree – crown reduce in height and width to 2.5m
• Application – 48 Park Road – Demolition of conservatory and erection of two storey rear extension
• Application – Braemar, Side Street – Single storey rear/side extension
• Whirlwind Renewables – decision still awaited
17 Financial matters
17.1 The clerk reported on the income and outgoings since the last meeting on 13 May 2015:
Bank interest – £2.13
Film quiz and Easter profit – £206.13
Opus energy – £61.00
Came & Company insurance – £785.17
Eazyprint (banners) – £226.80
Village Hall grant – £2,000
Parochial Church Council – £50
Allington News – £50
Air Ambulance – £50
Fun House Comedy – £140
Village Hall rent 2014/15 – £119
P E Hempstead – £762
HMRC (PAYE) – £299.20
Plus Clerk and Caretaker’s salaries
17.2 Councillors unanimously approved the payments retrospectively.
18 Any other business for future meetings
18.1 The following would be on the agenda at the September meeting:
• Discussion regarding procedures in the Financial Regulations, including payment and agreement of payments retrospectively.
19 Date of next meeting
19.1 The next meetings will be:9 September 2015
Signed: ———————————– (Chairman). Date: ————————————