Minutes of the Parish Council’s Annual Meeting May 2016
Allington Parish Council
Minutes of the Parish Council’s Annual Meeting held in the Village Hall
Wednesday 11 May 2016
Present: Councillor Jackson Councillor Ashby
Councillor Sharp Councillor Bosworth
Councillor Carter Sharon Milne (clerk)
No members of public were present.
1. Election of Chairman
1.1 Both Cllr Jackson and Cllr Bosworth were nominated as Chairman. After a show of hands, Cllr Jackson was elected to act as Chairman for the forthcoming year. Cllr Jackson will therefore continue be the Chairman for the year 2016/17.
2. Election of Vice Chairman
2.1 Cllr Bosworth was nominated to act as Vice Chairman for the forthcoming year. There were no other nominations. Cllr Bosworth will therefore be the Vice Chairman for the year 2015/16.
3. Chairman’s remarks
3.1 The Chairman welcomed all Councillors to the first meeting following the election. He thanked all Councillors for the work they had done on the Parish Council in the preceding year.
4.1 Cllrs Cant and Plummer sent their apologies as they were away.
4.2 County Councillor Paul Wood and District Councillor Hannah Westropp also sent their apologies.
5 Declarations of Interest
5.1 Cllr Ashby declared an interest in any discussion that may occur regarding the Twinning Association as she is the Secretary of the group.
6 Appointment of other offices and committees
6.1 After discussion it was agreed that councillors would remain on the advisory groups as last year: Cllrs Bosworth, Cant and Ashby would sit on the Planning Consultation Advisory Group and Cllrs Jackson, Sharp, Plummer and Carter would sit on the Playing Field Advisory Group.
6.2 Cllr Jackson, as Chairman, would also represent the Parish Council on the Village Hall Management Committee.
7 Dates of Parish Council meetings for the ensuing year
7.1 The Council will meet on the following dates:
Wednesday 13 July 16
Wednesday 14 September 16
Wednesday 9 November 16
Wednesday 11 January 17
Wednesday 8 March 17
7.2 The date for the next Annual Parish meeting is Wednesday 12 April 2017
8 Review of Standing Orders and Financial Regulations
8.1 Councillors reviewed and unanimously agreed the present Standing Orders and Financial Regulations.
9 Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 9 March 2016
9.1 The minutes were confirmed as a true record by those Councillors that were in attendance at the meeting on 9 March. They were signed by the Chairman.
10 Annual Parish Meeting feedback
10.1 The Annual Parish Meeting held in April went well and the feedback was positive. At the meeting Sharon Andrews spoke about the village’s new Fixed Point Defibrillator which LIVES had brought for the village. She demonstrated the equipment. This was well received by everyone. A good number of village groups and societies were present and they all gave reports on their year.
10.2 The clerk will write to Sharon Andrews and thank her for her time and for all the work she has committed to the LIVES Responder’s group over the years. (Action point: clerk)
11 Grants for the year 2016/17
11.1 The following grants were agreed unanimously:
a) £2000 to the Village Hall Management Committee to help keep letting fees low, with a further £3000 ringfenced in the Parish accounts for specific capital projects.
b) £50 to the Village shop to help with the upkeep of the shop’s notice board.
12 Donations for the year 2016/17
12.1 The following donations, payable under LGA s137, were proposed and agreed unanimously:
a) £75 – Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance,
b) £100 – to the village Church
c) £100 – to Allington News
d) £100 – Twinning Association.
13 Correspondence received since the meeting held on 9 March 16
13.1 The Council has sent and received correspondence on the following:
a) Came & Company insurance renewal
b) Audit return – Grant Thornton
c) Long Bennington Medical Centre newsletter
d) Notification of Lowfields Lane and Bottom Street closures this summer
e) SKDC confirming Planning Applications will be forwarded electronically
f) Response from Highways re: salting
g) Pension regulators correspondence
h) BKV confirmation of entry
i) Email from Twinning Association re: funding
14 Representations made to the Parish Council since the agenda has been set
14.1 There were no representations to Councillors since the agenda had been set.
15 Community Shelter
15.1 Cllr Sharp reported on more enquiries had had made regarding the cost of hiring adequate trestles and/or scaffolding to be able to refurbish the roof of the community shelter. It was agreed that once the better weather comes trestles would be hired and the shelter should be worked on. It was agreed that renovations up to a value of £500 could be spent. Cllrs Sharp and Bosworth would liaise on the matter. (Action point: MS & AB)
16 Village Cross
16.1 Cllr Bosworth stated that the matter of renovating the Village Cross was ongoing. It was acknowledged that considerable funds will be required to refurbish the Cross. There was a discussion about whether Parish Council could consider a loan for the work. This is something that may have to be considered in the future.
17 Village Hall matters
17.1 Unfortunately there was no representative of the Village Hall Management Committee at the meeting to update the Parish Council. However Cllr Jackson said that he had attended their recent committee meeting and all seemed well.
17.2 The VHMC had organised the British Weekend last month to commemorate Queen Elizabeth’s 90th birthday and St George’s day. The weekend had been very successful and thanks go to all involved for a wonderful weekend.
18 Highway matters, including Speed Monitors
18.1 Cllr Sharp reported back on his findings on speed monitors. He had spoken to a local Parish Council that already has speed indicators, as well as obtained quotes from a couple of companies that could supply the devices. It seems that the cost of installing these devices is now considerably less expensive than estimates received in the past. It could now be a viable option to consider installing them in speeding hot-spots within the village.
18.2 After discussion it was decided that the Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership would be consulted to determine where the best place would be to install speed indicator devices should the Parish Council decide to pursue this. There may be a small charge for this. (Action point: AB)
18.3 Regarding the replacement of Neighbourhood Watch signs. Cllr Bosworth had obtained a couple of new signs and he would put them up. (Action point: AB)
18.4 A response had been received from Highways regarding the salting of Sedgebrook Road. A list had been forwarded from Highways showing that Sedgebrook Road was 80th in the list of roads in the County in need of gritting. There was however no explanation of how the points system works to determine the priority of salting. The clerk would make further enquiries. (Action point: clerk)
19 Playing field matters
19.1 Cllr Carter reported on the Playing field. The new goals have been installed in the MUGA and have been well received. The old goals have been moved out onto the field and are being well utilised.
19.2 The areas around the bonfire site and far entrance of the field have been cleared of debris, levelled and hardcore has been put down. Thank you for Merrick Ashby for his time and efforts.
19.3 Ideas are being explored to look at the limitations of the car park at the field during the football season. More details will follow on this.
19.4 The hedges around the field will be cut in the autumn by the Hempsteads.
19.5 The option of installing CCTV at the field is being looked at, including installing floodlights for the MUGA. Cllr Sharp spoke about the three quotes had had obtained for four cameras. .A proposal will be put to the Parish Council in due course.
19.6 A new fence will be installed around the children’s play area soon which will include the installation of the QEII Fields in Trust plaque.
19.7 Three park benches have been installed in separate locations on the playing field. They are already being used.
19.8 The option to remove the green portacabins and replace them with a more permanent single structure is being explored. This is only in exploratory stages. Advice will also need seeking from SKDC’s Planning Department.
19.9 Cllr Bosworth reported that bait boxes for vermin had been installed in the portacabins by Rentokil. It was acknowledged that once the measures to combat the vermin were in place the cabins will need a thorough clean.
20 Planning matters
20.1 Applications received and determined since the last Parish council meeting on 9 March 2016:
• Approval – Corner House, The Green – retention of alterations to and conversion of two storey garage to ancillary accommodation
• Approval – The Granary, 3 Dalestorth Court, single storey extension
• Approval – Fishpond House, 41 Park Road – Removal of existing garage, erection of two storey side, single storey side and single storey front extensions incl. removal of 2 sycamore and 1 cherry tree
• Application and approval – Brackenhill, Side Street – Fell 4 trees
• Application – 66 Park Road – Fell Lime tree
21 Financial matters
21.1 The clerk reported on the income and outgoings since the last meeting on 9 March 16:
• Precept – £18,000
• Caretaker’s grant – £374.40
• Bank interest – £2.13
• Christmas tree event – 72.02
• GYFC pitch hire – £528.50
• Comedy night income – 849.55
Total £ 19,754.58
• HMRC – £305.60
• Hempsteads – £453.30
• Opus Energy – £25.57
• CPRE – BKV entry – £15.00
• APM expenses – £32.46
• Village Hall rent 2015-16 – £117.00
• Norris Plant Hire (Digger hire) – £168.00
• MS expenses (Stone for car park) – £258.00
• GJ expenses (grass seed/feed) – £24.99
• Marmax Ltd (Picnic tables) – £1422.00
• Came & Company Insurance – £819.21
Total £ 3,641.13
All payments were retrospectively approved unanimously.
21.2 The clerk presented the Statement of Accounts to the Council for the year 2015/16. The accounts have been approved by the internal auditor for submission to the external auditors. The Governance Statements were agreed by Parish Councillors. (Action point: clerk)
21.3 The Accounting Statements were agreed unanimously as was the authority to pay by BACS, and record in the accounts her and the village caretakers’ salaries throughout the year as necessary. Authority to continue to pay other bills by BACS and the electricity bill for the Playing Field by direct debit was also agreed.
21.4 The bank mandate was reviewed. The authorised signatories will remain as Cllrs Bosworth, Plummer and Cant. (Action point: clerk)
21.5 Cllrs agreed to renew the annual insurance from Aviva. This year’s premium is £819.21. The clerk will renew accordingly. (Action point: clerk)
22 Any other business for future meetings
22.2 These items would be put on the agenda for the July meeting:
a) The village cross
23 Date of next meeting
23.1 The next Parish Council meeting will be on Wednesday 13 July 16 at 7.30pm.
Signed: ————————————————- Date: ———————————-